When Carrie met Tim Ferriss
Dear Lovely Business Owner,
Re: How Tim Ferriss author of the Four Hour Work Week can help you with Return On Connection™.
Gosh… circa.. the summer of 2008, could be 2007… blonde moment,, do forgive me..
I decided after being so enormously inspired to literally hop on a couple of trains. I LOVE TRAINS, I just adore to do, I find trains relaxing and exciting!! – yup really.
To attend a meet up, this is before they were like really organised like they are nowadays to meet with the lovely Mr Tim Ferriss. It was not a meeting with me; rather it was a meeting with Tim and a group of people in central London still.. .
Personally, I had read Tim’s book, the 4 Hour Work Week, and was just so inspired! You know when you are that inspired you state up really late, just devouring a book page by page, and your friends are just bored of you going on about it? It well I was that kind of inspired!! So, I did not take much persuasion to get on two trains, in a heartbeat I was on that train.
The venue, as predicted was a swanky pub in central London. You know those hip and trendy one’s where the ‘in’ crowd hang out. Beautifully decked out with every detail matching up, such as the high-spec doors with such thickness of draft excluders that they hardly make a noise when they are being opened and closed. You know the kind?! It was the kind of place which has gorgeously decorated toilets, too, for me makes all the difference, to be honest. Maybe it just a female thing? Well, I loved it! All colours were so co-ordinated with hand towels in baskets next to the sink, and then specifically designated bins for them which I just love!
That kind of place. Tim Ferriss was meeting people downstairs, and so down I ventured, slightly nervous, slightly intimidated, to be quite honest, and stupidly, I had put on like 5inch heels, which I rarely wear,as I was a bit scared. I know,it was like the blonde leading the blonde… but that’s another story! So down the stairs I waddled, rather embarrassingly..
I did queue up to shake his hand, and I was still a bit intimidated by him, honestly, and waddling in my heels did not exactly help matters… Thankfully, my saving grace came in the form of two little Green and Blacks chocolate bars that I had brought along as a little gesture of thanks to him, which he did appreciate, after checking out the high percentages of Cacao which were important to him!!
A few minutes later, Tim Ferriss stood and spoke to us all huddled around him; like a rock star with his adoring loved up fans, with a beaming smile, from ear to ear. He looked just as happy to see us as we were all to see him. You felt that it was not a reluctance for him to be there. You felt that it was like his raison d’etre to be in the room, right in that moment to listen to each and every one. You felt that he was 1000% comfortable with being fully there, and being fully present to those who were interested in what he had to say. Looking back, I can truly see why he became such a phenomenal success….
Here are a few reasons…
- Tim, you could feel it love being there and what he was talking about! Being an Empath- a term for someone who has sensitivity on steroids, I most certainly could feel that he loved every second being there. Every cell of his being was fired up, like a firework display, which everyone just mirrored! He simply loved that he was there, and being the with the audience he LOVED IT!
2. Answering each question whole-heartedly. Honestly, one of my friends said on my journey back home to me :” Carrie, he brain – f***ed,’ you all. That he did. He just expressed himself with such eloquence, with such care,(* i.e. he did not sound like an arrogant know-it-all, or disempower others. far from it-quite a gift!) and with such insight, You know when someone speaks to you like you are the only person in the room? He was like that. When that happens; it creates all sorts of explosion in each of our brains and hearts, as it’s so rare! … So much so, that afterwards, I needed a lie down in a darkened room, and am pretty sure I was not alone with that.
3.Go deep or go home: You could just sense that many of the people in the room, just like me, were keen to create more of a work life balance, and were either in Business or starting one, so Tim’s book spoke to us deeply. His book was not at all superficial and neither was he.do Rather, his book spoke very deeply, something that Jay Abraham, the famed Billionaire Dollar Man,( http://www.abraham.com) talked about recently as the reason why some Business books fly off the shelves whilst others do not. It’s all about the depth of it, which Tim, totally nailed. Big time.
4.Practice what you preach. Tim epitomised his message of the living more and working less, that everything and anything was possible! To say he did this passionately does not quite do him justice. Tim actually could have stood there and had us all pitch questions about pretty much anything for hours and hours and hours… As we would have just stayed there. He had people literally lapping up his every word. You could feel people’s hope being restored, you could feel people receiving life-changing healing affirmations from Tim. You could literally sense that he was in that room of that swanky London Pub, that he was changing their lives, word by word. The excitement was palpable not just from us but from him too.
How can this help you with your Business, you might wonder?
Well the lovely Mr Tim Ferriss epitomised what I call a ‘Return on Connection™,’ which what my work is all about, about understanding that your communication and content needs emotional connection, as that is where the conversion( or the return) happens, without this connection it is like tea without cake..
How to create your own cake, or connection to increase your conversion, like Tim do the following:
1. Love what you do!Don’t just do it for the money as that never last. Do it because you just love it from every cell of your being, intensely love so much so you would joyously meet a group of strangers and talk about it with them, in as much depth as possible and still be in love with it!
2.Be whole-hearted. This means speaking to others with love, care and presence like they are the only people in your life, and they will fall in love with you.
3. Go deep or go home. When people ask you a question, answer it in as much depth as possible, as that not only demonstrates your mastery but it is really shows that you intend to meet their needs, and it inspires them to want to know more!
4. Whatever your message is, do not just say it, embody it!!
As for Tim, I still believe he truly loves what he does, I have been following his new book launch for ‘ Tools for Titans,’ and I can still feel that guy’s passion, and see that he is walking his talk and has set his life up for himself, and his interests.
If you would like to know more create Return on Connection™, and you don’t have 10,000 hours to spend learning to master this to increase your conversion rates, then just sign up to my Version 1.0 of my course here: http://www.theblondepreneur.com/return-on-connection-course/
I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback on this post,
Love Carrie x
p.s My other part-time passion, is astrology ! So, I got his chart done, and here is a little thumb nail sketch into the lovely Mr Ferriss who is a Cancer with a Libran Rising Sign, which means the guy is charismatic,perceptive and an unquestionable a powerful presence and orator. For more, visit: http://www.facebook.com/blondeastrology